Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Poised for festivities

Well today arrived with the first SERIOUS dump of snow.  I left the kitchen table to do something and when I came back, Peter had Dexter staring out the window looking for a REALLY big flake to count.  So far they had only seen one. :)

While it is picturesque, the snow of course creates havoc on the highway.  Sister Karen and nephew Andrew were scheduled to arrive today, but have put off departure until tomorrow morning to let the roads clear.  Hopefully they will arrive for the perogie-fest of Christmas eve.  Fingers crossed and weather cooperating.

What else?... I went into town to work at the gift wrapping booth sister Lisa operates to raise funds for work operation.  Oddly, the mall was very quiet, so I got to wrap all of our own presents.  I enjoyed the quiet creative time and only occasionally flashed back to the panicked look on Chris' face as I waved good bye as sat next to Cabin Fever Kid.

Last night I had a flash of Creative Craft Domesticity.  I googled a play dough recipe and Dexter and I whipped up some purple and pink dough.  In viewing the volume resulting from this undertaking, I realized that this recipe was likely aimed at teachers with 20 kids to occupy.  "Note to self:  quarter the recipe next time."  I emptied the house of salt (not a grain left in any shaker) and cream of tartar. 

Did you know that CofT runs at about $1/tablespoon?!?  Mom bought some replacements and a tiny box is $8.   Lisa confirms that around Christmas the price goes up because the local shops know the teachers will be stocking up for Christmas crafts.   Well bah-humbug to you too, for chrissake (she says ironically).

That was a very long way of saying "Yay Mom!"  as apparently the Easter-themed play dough kept Dexter occupied all afternoon.  Especially when I found the Christmas shaped cookie cutters for him to go nuts with.

I came home and in another Martha Stewart moment added water to an angel food cake mix to help Santa produce the cake that Dexter wants for Christmas.

Mom:  What do you want from Santa?
Dexter: Cake
Mom: What kind of cake?
Dexter: I don't know

This is what we have to go on.

So great hilarity ensued as the kitchen filled with supportive relatives to observe my sunken cakes re-emerge from the oven (you can put them back in, right?).  Whatever. 

I'm sure I can trim them down to salvage the edible sections.   They only have to be Dexter-size.  And he will love them.  So there.

I'm going to go see if I can pry them out of the tins.

Photos tomorrow if you're really lucky.

Happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment