Sunday, November 22, 2009

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle

"Where are you headed?" he asked. I'm going to a farm just outside Yorkton. I'm going to spend a year there I said. It's a cattle farm. "Beef?". "Yes Sir". "So, your going to castrate them, cut their balls off, slaughter em?" As far I know, someone else handles that, I said. "So, your going to herd them" he said. "You know how to lasso?". "No Sir." "Got a horse?" "No Sir, but we have an ATV". "Well, I guess that will do", he said. "Well if you ever need some help son, let me know. Me and my horse would be glad to lend you a hand."

This was the oddest conversation that I have ever had in my life with a man who bore an uncanny resemblance to Larry from Newhart. You know "Hi I'm Larry and this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl" fame. All the while I'm thinking "You've got a horse?" Come on you work in in a Motel. Now what you can't see at 10 o'clock at night with no street lights, but, what is very easy to see in the morning at 8am is that Larry had his horse tied up out back. Huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment