Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Secure the perimeter

Coming into the yard after walk and Dad zoomed up on the quad. Turns out three bulls have busted out. They were in isolation in the corrals...guess they didn't like that. Have I seen them?

Um...no. But I heard the cows making a ruckus over there... He perked up. Zoom!! Off to the yard fence. I trudge after him - no quad hitching for me.

We peered into the field...and who did we see? Hawaiian Bulll (known for his swivelling hips) and the little black bull, who as it turns out, is actually a steer. Somehow no one noticed his lack of balls until quite recently. In isolation until the meat wagon shows up. But, apparently feisty, he was one of the escapees.

It seems they are about to cruise into the yard...they're on the people-side of the fence. Dad zooms off. I continue to watch the action. I hear a 'hey!' from Dad...I rush over to consult. Does he need help? Shall I saddle up the golf cart to leap into action? Turns out he's just telling me to move...the bulls are going to come my way. Oh.

What can I do? He has no idea what the plan is yet. Have I seen Peter? I point him in the direction of the sound of the other ATV. Zoom!

I head into the house to capture the action on memory card. I zip up to tell Julia about the drama unfolding outside her window. She's dozing...I go away.

The guys have a plan....open the yard fence gate to the pasture and let the bulls in. Brilliant!

All goes well...barring some significant hoof prints in the lawn.

Soon, escapee #3 shows up and follows his pals into the pasture.

Original bull is last seen posturing atop a dirt mound, making sure the newcomers are clear that this is HIS herd. Men.

Tomorrow...move the whole gang to a new pasture and peel off the three back to corrals. Good luck with that!

UPDATE:
Apparently the bulls left a trail of very deep, very soggy hoof prints in the garden. Right through my row of carrots. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment