Friday, May 28, 2010

Tropic of Toronto

When I was a citizen of  Toronto, from time to time I would realize that for Canada, Toronto was a southern destination.  I think it's the same latitude as Denver, or something like that. 

Really....western Canada STARTS level with Thunder Bay, which (for Torontians) is the North...and a great deal of the east is the same.  Southern Ontario doesn't know from cold!

Why do I reflect on this today, you ask?

Because we're going to have a high of freakin' 6C today!  Likely have snow this weekend, just like Calgary's been having.

So, I would tease my fellow Torontonians when they cringed at an unseasonable 12C in May.  Remind them of the the rest of shivering Canada and point out that they were living in the Tropic of Toronto.

Not that I minded.  I loved living in the tropics (apart from heat and smog emergencies...not so much). But it was NICE to have more that 10 weeks of gardening weather, patio weather, where-something-other-than-parkas weather.  Nice, I say.

Sure clean air, breath taking horizons, no traffic jams are great....but so is summer.

Happy weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment